Your daily mission: Ensure the successful operation of the café, adding a lil love and care in every process, procedure, and cuppa joe.
This Café Kicks Ass, Here’s Why
It’s one of Canada’s Greatest Places to Work.
It’s just 10 years young and is being totally refurbished. (Think all brand spankin’ new!)
It’s smack dab in the middle of the Rocky Mountains.
It’s as close to fresh roasted coffee as it can get.
This is where 1,000 small good gestures bring our story to life.
Where human beans and coffee beans are connected.
Where the world wakes up and the coffee kicks ass.
Who Are You?
Your priority list looks a little something like this:
- Bringing the two together.
As someone who knows what’s up in the coffee world, you can brew a mean cuppa joe. And even though your coffee game is marvellously on point, it’s your people skills that make you a legend in the café realm. Because, after all, what’s coffee without connection? Whether it’s with guests or your fellow colleagues, you connect with folks on a whole other level. You’re also a stickler for details, specifically the small ones. To you, creating an incredible café experience for people feels like a dream come true, and you are ready to take that next step. Get ready to build that dream pal, cause things just got real.
What Will You Do?
Our new, improved, state-of-the-art café is opening in 2022. Not to toot our own horn or anything, but toot freakin’ toot – it’s gunna be epic! As the Café Supervisor, you’ll make sure the day-to-day operations run smoothly and soundly.You will lead the team in creating a kick ass, unique, second-to-none experience for everyone that visits the Cafe.Working closely with the cafe team and the Café Manager, you’ll ensure that every interaction taking place in our walls is filled with love, connection, and quality. As a people-leader, you will share your treasure trove of coffee knowledge while simultaneously furthering your own professional growth through our leadership training program. To get specific, you’ll rock the following:
- Provide daily support, coaching and training to entire café team
- Build and enhance a positive team environment through regular communication, recognition, and team engagement. Work with the team to create a fun work environment and build on the Kicking Horse Coffee culture.
- Support Manager on all people related activities such as recruitment, training, performance management, recognition, and more. Manage all Café scheduling and people resource planning.
- Provide daily communication and updates to the team. Generate ideas for improvement. Create space for questions and concerns. You will create a safe place for staff to share.
- Inspire the team to create amazing experiences for our customers and support a positive, welcoming, and connecting approach to all customers.
- Maintain a calm demeanor during periods of high volume or unusual events to keep the café operating to it’s high standard and ensuring a good experience for the customer and the staff.
- Resolve product or service problems by clarifying the customer's complaint; selecting and explaining the best solution to solve the problem; following up to ensure resolution. Empower your team to do the same.
- Inspire the team to bring their knowledge and passion about coffee. Find ways to build the knowledge base of coffee and encourage the team to share this with the customers.
- Ensure both workplace safety and food safety – are a number one priority for everyone. Manage all recording and reporting of near misses and incidents. Work with Kitchen Supervisor and OH&S, to ensure all staff are prepared for emergency response.
- Lead in the building and updating of all Cafe operational policies and procedures, ensuring all policies and procedures are shared and understood with the team. Support any processes, procedures, or updates to create an efficient, clean and organized work area for all.
- Liaise with Cafe Supervisor on overall Café and Kitchen operations – you are a team, working to create one well caffeinated, smoothly running, café dream.
- Following established guidelines to ensure a consistent and high-quality product for our customers. Process for consistency. Encourage connection and creativity for a unique experience.
- Support Café Manager on the financial and operations planning.
- Build connections with all parts of the organization – from coffee sourcing, to roasting to packaging – everyone is part of the story and the story is part of us.
- Ensure daily, weekly, monthly, and annual tasks, projects, and audits etc. are complete from cash deposits, weekly tip processing, supply ordering, inventory management, to scheduling and payroll functions.
Experience & Education
- The basics: You have some training or education related to the food and beverage industry. This is a no brainer – you also have Food Safe Level I.
- Not your first rodeo: You’ve got some experience in F&B. Even better if you’ve been in the coffee biz.
- Yaasss to Leadership: You love leading people using your trusty sidekicks: compassion and emotional intelligence. Your very presence inspires people to bring their best.
- Coffee connoisseur: You must love coffee! Tea is cool, too. But coffee is the deal-breaker.
- Computer foundations: You don’t need to be the next Bill Gates, but some good, solid experience with Microsoft Office and the initiative to learn more is required.
- Experience with POS is a major ASS-et. Even better if you have previous experience with software such as Lightspeed, QuickBooks, Bev-Spot, and any scheduling or labour management tools such as Payworks or Push Operations.
- Relationship builder: Have we mentioned that you love people? Perhaps you’re even known for your mad connection skillz. People want to work with you!
- Communication champion: You are honest, open and share information regularly and with expert execution. You listen. You ask questions to deepen your understanding.
- Flexy-bendy: You are agile and able to adapt to change in a fast-paced, energetic environment. You know that no two days are the same and that is what makes work fun.
- Speaking of fun: Yeah, we know how it sounds when workplaces say they’re “fun”. Cue the cringe emoji. BUT we do really like to have fun and invite you to bring a playfulness and hella harmonious vibes to the workplace.
- Sucker for the details: In a good way, of course. You know the little things can make a big difference. You pay attention to even the most subtle of details that will wow our customers.
- Moral compass on point: You act with integrity, honesty and knowledge to align with the spirit of Kicking Horse Coffee
- Best in show: You annihilate mediocrity with strong attention to detail; high standards for quality; and excellent time management.
Your cuppa joe?
We’re definitely biased, but this role is dream-job status. If reading this left you buzzing for what’s next, you should probs take it as a sign and send us your resume. Throw that traditional cover letter out the door! We want you to tell us about who you are, why you love coffee, and maybe even tell us your favourite blend of ours. What gets you out of bed every day, ready to kick some ass? Creativity is invited, so show us whatchu got! Hint: we’re suckers for a cheeky joke or cute pet photo. Please email applications to Cindy by January 31st. Email us!