This Café Kicks Ass.. and Here’s Why
It’s one of Canada’s Greatest Places to Work.
It’s just 10 years young and is being totally refurbished. (Think all brand spankin’ new!)
It’s smack dab in the middle of the Rocky Mountains.
It’s as close to fresh roasted coffee as it can get.
This is where 1,000 small good gestures bring our story to life.
Where human beans and coffee beans are connected.
Where the world wakes up and the coffee kicks ass.
Who Are You?
To say you love food is a vast, vast understatement. For you, the culinary arts are just that: art. Creating, testing, sharing. You know food isn’t just fuel; it’s an experience. And when paired with coffee? Well, that’s just a recipe for mind-blowing magnificence. But along with passion for food, you know the secret ingredient to running a world-class kitchen is people. Providing support, coaching, training, and straight up good vibes to your team is just as close to your heart as chocolate cake. But you also consider the people outside the kitchen and care deeply about what’s on their plate. If the key to people’s hearts is through the stomach, well…people realllllly love you.
What Will You Do?
Great food made with Love. ‘Nuff said.
Okay, we will say a bit more: Working with the leadership team and our partners, 15 Group, you will lead the execution of our brand-new Café food program and staff lunch program. We’re starting from scratch! You get to build the flow, the standard work procedures, the training manuals and much more! This means you have a clean slate for creativity! From a leadership perspective, you will inspire, coach, and motivate a top-tier, kick-ass kitchen team. Working together, your team will bring pride to food, ensuring that everything leaving the kitchen is nothing short of perfection, made with love and care. You will work to wake up the food and bev biz and bring our café experience to life.
Pinch yourself! This is real.
- Provide daily support, coaching and training to the entire kitchen team.
- Build and enhance a fun and positive team environment through regular communication, recognition and team engagement. Provide daily communication and updates to the team.
- Support Manager on all people-related activities such as recruitment, training, performance management, recognition, and more.
- Manage all kitchen scheduling and people resource planning.
- Maintain a calm demeanour during periods of high volume or unusual events to keep the kitchen operating to its high standard, ensuring a good experience for the customer and the staff.
- Resolve product problems or concerns by clarifying the customer's complaint; selecting and explaining the best solution to solve the problem; following up to ensure resolution. Empower your team to do the same.
- Create an environment that is clean, sanitary, safe by establishing and role modelling policies and procedures. Process is freedom, baby.
- Continuously look for ways to improve or evolve recipes with our partners, encouraging staff to bring ideas and solutions, and creating unique or small details in the food presentation.
- Speaking of details – you will regularly inspect supplies, equipment, and work areas to ensure the highest quality of standard and conformance is met. A clean house is a happy house!
- Share the passion for coffee and food through creating food/coffee pairings and events
- Ensure safety – both general workplace safety and food safety – are a number one priority for everyone. You will also work with the Café Supervisor and OH&S, to will ensure all staff are prepared for emergency response.
- Build and update all kitchen operational policies, procedures, and guidelines. Ensuring they are all shared and understood with the team.
- Liaise with Cafe Supervisor on overall Café and Kitchen operations – you are a team, working to create one well caffeneited, smoothly running, café dream.
- Support Café Manager on financial and operations planning. Including KPI’s and quarterly incentive programs for kitchen staff.
- Build connections with all parts of the organization – from coffee sourcing, to roasting to packaging – everyone is part of the story and the story is part of us.
- Ensure all daily, weekly, monthly and annual tasks, projects, audits etc are completed from cleaning to inventory order, food orderings to waste management to quality control to payroll functions.
Experience & Education
- The basics: You have training or education related to the food and beverage industry. This is a no-brainer – you also have Food Safe Level II.
- Not your first rodeo: You’ve got some experience in the food biz. You’ve run a kitchen before.
- Gord Ramsay need not apply: You love leading people. You love inspiring people to bring their best. You’re compassionate, calm and caring while still holding your team accountable.
- Coffee connoisseur: Yes, we know you love food, but you must love coffee! This is a deal breaker. You fancy pairing the two together to create a beautiful café experience.
- Computer wiz: okay, maybe not a wizard, but you have solid computer skills, particularly with MS Office. Experience with software such as lightspeed, QuickBooks, Bev-Spot, and any scheduling or labour management tools such as PayWorks or Push Operations would be ah-mazing.
- The nitty gritty: You’ve mastered inventory management and recipe engineering! When we say sales forecasts, sales trends, production volumes, prep lists, planning and data analysis, food and labour costing – you get it! You’ve been around the block working in the dets.
- Relationship builder: You are known for connecting with people. You build strong working relationships. People want to work with you!
- Communication champion: You are honest, open and share information regularly and openly. You listen. You ask questions to deepen your understanding.
- Gumby-bendy: You are agile and able to adapt to change in a fast-paced, energetic environment. You know that no two days are the same and that is what makes work fun.
- Speaking of fun: You bring playfulness and fun to the workplace, you are all about great vibes and maybe even cracking a cheeky joke here and there.
- Food = Love: You know food made with love fuels the soul.
- Moral compass on point: You act with integrity, honesty and knowledge, promoting the spirit of Kicking Horse Coffee.
- Annihilate mediocrity: You have strong attention to detail; high standards for quality; and excellent time management. You are organized and know all the moving pieces to run a kitchen.
Is this your jam?
Throw that traditional cover letter out the door! We want you to tell us about who you are, why you love food, maybe even the name of your dog. We want to know what fuels you (outside of food). Yes, of course include a resume, too, please. Please email applications to Cindy by January 31st. Email us!