YOUR MISSION: To provide relief support for our production crew - keeping those beans a-roasting and/or packaging the best coffee on the planet.
WHO ARE WE?
We roast Canada’s #1 whole bean coffee. Our Arabica beans are 100% certified Organic and Fairtrade. We’ve been doing this for over 26 years, smack dab in the middle of the Rocky Mountains.
And our coffee beans aren’t the only ones winning awards around here. Our human beans kick ass too! Kicking Horse Coffee has been a certified Great Place to Work® since 2015. In 2018, we were named the #1 Best Workplace in Canada. Whoa! We believe creating a workplace that offers great careers and access to an exceptional lifestyle. It’s why we’ve made a commitment to become a living wage employer.
The spirit of Kicking Horse Coffee can be summed up in five words: awake, courageous, intentional, sophisticated, and love, yep, love. These are the values at our core, the foundation of our culture.
WHO ARE YOU?
You go with the flow. You are flexible, adaptable, and a quick learner. Change? Scary? Nah, you can handle it. You work best in a role where you can be on your feet, moving around quickly, and keeping busy with an upbeat environment and crew. You kind of like being on call – and ready to jump in when we need you!
WHAT WILL YOU DO?
You are part of our on-call crew that support our Roasting and Packaging teams.
Packaging: Focusing on safety and efficiency, you will package, inspect, box and prepare to ship the best coffee in the country. You'll work closely with your team to perform daily clean-ups, room preparations and relentless quality control. Being a ninja involves repetitive, physical work in a team setting. But that’s not all. Our ninjas exercise their minds, too! We love ideas for continuous process improvement!
Roasting: As a member of Kicking Horse Coffee’s elite roasting team, you’ll make sure your crew has everything they need to rock‘n’roast. This includes setting up the roasting room, cleaning our equipment, keeps an eye on green bean quality and provides coverage for other team members. You’ll also be a chauffer to our beans, transporting them between our roasting room and packaging machines. To get specific, this role will be responsible for the following:
- Follow standard operating procedures to bag and box our beans!
- Inspect all finished products to ensure quality control standards are being met.
- Perform daily clean-ups and room preparations.
- Follow all health and safety policies and procedures in place.
- Special project tasks as assigned.
- Prepare the roasting room for production according to the daily roast list.
- Manually load green beans into roasting hoppers, ensuring precise recipe compliance.
- Transport roasted beans from roasting to packaging, ensuring accurate labelling.
- Weigh and enter roasted coffee info to our ERP system accurately.
- Perform daily clean-ups and room preparations.
- Participate in Roasting Department staff meetings, providing input and insights.
- Minimum high school diploma, post-secondary education preferred.
- Forklift operator certificate or a willingness to obtain.
- Good computer skills.
- Physically able to lift, stand, push and have good understand of workplace safety.
We are looking for people that embody our purpose, soul, and spirit. We want to work with folks that will nurture and enhance our culture of belonging, inclusivity, and love. In practice, this means you are:
- AWAKE: Reliable and ready to wake up and kick ass. You have excellent time management skills combined with a strong sense of urgency. You are aware of how you impact the world and those around you, as well as how the world, impacts you.
- INTENTIONAL: You do everything with good intention. You act with kindness, respect, and professionalism.
- COURAGEOUS: You are willing to adapt, learn, and grow as you navigate change. You have a strong curiosity and a desire to continuously learn and improve.
- SOPHISTICATION: You annihilate mediocrity with strong attention to detail and high personal standards for quality.
- LOVE: You have a positive and fun disposition. You have a “mug half full” approach to life. You are a collaborator by nature and enjoy working alongside a big team.
This is an on-call role with no guarantee of hours or consistent work.
Shift times may be anywhere from 4 – 8 hours per day, with start times as early as 6:00 am and end times as late as 10:30pm.
PERKS TO PIQUE YOUR INTEREST
We believe that when individuals thrive, communities thrive. At Kicking Horse Coffee, we offer a wellness inspired, experienced based compensation and benefits package.
- Living wages for all our roles, specifically this role starts at $20.00 per hour.
- Green commuting
- Discounted coffee beans
- The best perk of all, an exceptional crew of human beans that love what they do and kick ass at it too.
HOW TO APPLY
Sound like your cuppa joe? We encourage you to apply! Send us your resume via email (email@example.com) with a note telling us your availability.
SPIRIT OF LOVE
Love means welcoming everyone to ensure an inclusive place for all. We seek team members from all walks of life, backgrounds, and cultures.